Thursday 7 June 2012

You Aint Going Nowhere

Everyone in their lives go through stages where they question the choices they are making and how they want to live their lives. At least people should because time is so short and you only get one shot. Sometimes this questioning occurs quite unexpectedly!

Dean Karnazes, the Ultramarathon Man discovered a new direction on his 30th birthday. He realised that being a corporate man bringing in 6 figures a year was not fulfillling him or bringing him happiness. He had been a competitive runner in his college years but on leaving college had given it up. His sister died in a car crash at the age of 18 which also threw a lot of confusion into his life.

So at the age of 30 Dean set out for a run in an old pair of sneakers, after arriving home early hours of the morning, on celebrating his birthday. He ran for 45 kn [28 miles] and basically ran himself into the ground. He had to call his wife to come and get him. This run was the start of what he called Living. He finally felt truly Alive. From here he took on the greatest challenges any person could take on and became one of the most successful ultra marathon runners ever. He has run through Death Valley in the heat of summer and ran 100 mile races over mountains where he ran through the night, suffered night blindness and had to crawl the last couple of miles to the finish line.

I am so grateful I discovered running at an early age as it is extremely fulfilling for me and does make me feel Alive.

We all need to look at ourselves regularly and make sure we are not merely existing. We need to make sure that the decisions we make on a day to day basis are what we really want from our lives as we can't get the time back again.

Lea helped me with my version of Bob Dylan's You Aint Goin' Nowhere. Hope you like it and that my post gives you something to think about as you go through your day today!


4 comments:

Lea said...

The Ultramarathon Man sounds like a very fascinating story. People like that (and people like you) I find extremely inspirational. I think it is neat that you have discovered a true passion like with your running.

Ellie said...

Wow, Ultramarathon man sounds like quite a man. Great to find something that you get so much pleasure from.

john bain said...

Great rendition of the song Paul. You appear to be a bit more upbeat today I'm glad to see.
I'm off for a long run to the beach. In my car obviously.
Oh that I could still run the long distances we spoke about on your visit. Another reason of course why we should always make the most of life. I still have the memories.

Sarah said...

You know what I love about this cover Paul, you make it your own-it has a distinctive 'Paulness' about it...I love Dylan's music...and your cover is right up there with his :) Just wanted to let you know it was a pleasure to listen to :) and I'd like to come back for a Piano lesson!!!

and Paul....turn your face towards the sun and the shadows fall behind you :)