Wednesday 30 November 2011

Intolerance

What is the route of this problem that is prevalent in and has infested our society?

It appears to me that we spend a lot of time criticizing and looking down on others and ultimately reject those who are perceived to be different.

I believe we are born innocent and it is only society's negativity and judging of others that breeds intolerance in our young people. They take on the values of the adult community that they grow up with and have close contact with.

As human beings we have a tendency to put down others for their beliefs, what they wear, what they look like and choices they make. I am sure that people who continually criticize others are unhappy individuals and uncomfortable in their own skin.

One of my fundamental roles as a teacher is to model acceptance of all children under my care and promote a healthy respect for others. All children are unique and special individuals. They all have the right to be heard and be valued. Society has a resposibility to show acceptance and tolerance towards others and celebrate the differences we all have.

Everyone has something special to offer. If we spend more time truly listening instead of pushing our opinions onto others the better our society will be.

Here is a song I wrote a few years ago that highlights some of our prejudices and intolerances.


Would appreciate any thoughts / reflections on the words in my song!

Have you been conscious recently of intolerance or been subjected to it?

4 comments:

Lea said...

Coming from South Africa I have seen and experienced a lot of intolerance. It made me so sad sometimes to see just how much people hated each other. I never wanted my kids to grow up believing that is the way thing should be and I feel that perhaps here people are a bit more tolerant.

blackhuff said...

Paul, you are so right. Right over the whole world, intolerance is show by so many people and it's so sad. I can see that with my son with his ADHD. People tend to not understand or have any tolerance regarding this situation which make him feel "out" or "not normal."
I am happy that the pupils you teach, have a person like you to teach them.

blackhuff said...

P.S: It's weird to see that I left a comment on 1 Dec where we are still on 30 Nov :)

Unknown said...

Hi Paul! My husband has Korean ancestry. So our kids are German/Polish/Greek/Korean. We live in a mixed neighborhood. We have friends from most major nationalities. It's especially fun for eating different types of foods. So I totally agree with what you're saying.

:-) Marion