Sunday 2 October 2011

Sunday Ride

Today my planned 100km bike ride that was reported in Friday's blog On My Mind took on a new route.

When I arrived at Coastlands at 8:00 as I do most Sundays I found that the other cyclists had decided to do a hilly ride instead. The route was to be different but the distance the same. Was quite pleased to hear that news as I love the hills and I'm strong on them.

The ride set out from Coastlands south along SH1 to Paekakariki. From there we took a left turn and commenced our steady climb up Paekakariki Hill. This is where I pulled away from the other riders and continued over the hill and down past Battle Hill to Pauatahanui. After a short stop we rode over Moonshine Hill Road to Upper Hutt.

Now to my favourite part of the route over the Akatarawas. This section of the ride involves a steady 1 hour long climb to the Summit. The Akataras have been closed to traffic for 6 months due to the bridges being worked on. I had to dismount at one point and negotiate a short detour.

Having reached the Summit in one piece I enjoyed a quick descent watching carefully blind corners passing through Reikorangi to Waikanae.

I was now nearing the end of my ride. I put in a final burst along SH1 to Raumati South feeling extremely pleased with myself and knowing that I'd had an excellent ride. On arrival the home brewed coffee tasted real good. I sat down and relaxed as I prepared for the Warrior League Finals in the NRL competition knowing the lawns and vacuuming had been done the previous day.

2 comments:

Lea White said...

I really enjoyed reading what you got up to today! Seems exhausting though, but sounds as if you had a lot of fun! Are you just doing this for fun or are you working towards a specific event?

Buttons Thoughts said...

Congratulations Paul you make it sound so easy I know it was not. Incredible. B