Sunday 25 September 2011

Stories to Songs

Since I became a song writer I have been intrigued by the power of putting music to words, ideas and stories. I have used personal experiences regularly to create songs from story ideas.

My You're Not Eating Me picture book and song is one I'm particularly proud of. Other songs I have written with a story base are Back to Nature Trip and Vigour of Youth.

A song that I have discovered to be popular in my classroom is Day Dream Town that originated from a story called Tum Tum Valley. This story belonged to a Bedtime Stories book I picked up at a garage sale when I was a new teacher. I read it to my class and found that it appealed greatly to the children's imagination. I used the theme of the story and converted it into a magical adventure. References to food, animals and amusement parks. I remember Paul McCartney talking about where the Beatles got their ideas for songs such as Penny Lane and Benefit of Mr Kite. It would seem that everything is fair game for inspiration.


There is no doubt for me that stories put to music allows children to create mental pictures and can open their eyes and hearts to a wonderful world of fun and adventure.

3 comments:

Lea White said...

Day Dream Town is definitely one of my favourites and I can really see the images in my mind :-)

Sarah said...

So can I Paul, I got to listen to a few of your songs yesterday, loved them, the lyrics, the composition :) I've sent an email again to you, hopefully this one reaches you! But if it doesn't, thank you so much for the books :) The boys will love them!

Music is incredibly powerful, anyone who gets taught by you, will remember it for a long long time :)

Paul said...

Thanks for the positive comments about Day Dream Town and my other music.