Thursday 22 September 2011

How little did I know!

Over my years of teaching I have taught a number of dyslexic children. Sadly my knowledge of their needs and I'm sure it's the same for a lot of teachers was centred around reading difficulties.
   At Kapiti College tonight I discovered first hand from teenagers the challenges and frustrations they daily faced. I heard not only about their problems with reading tasks but also in the way teachers don't understand what they specifically needed to make learning managable and therefore rewarding.
   Some children talked about not picking up on instructions, being scared to ask for clarification and how they found ways to avoid tasks. They also talked about not feeling they could achieve and often a feeling of helplessness and hopelessness.
   We were given some extremely simple and practical advice that would enhance the learning opportunities in the classroom and help relieve the feelings of confusion and isolation. A much satisfying workshop that will make me a more effective and flexible teacher with children who need a slightly different approach in the way they learn best.
   Have you had any personal challenges or experiences with dyslexia and what has been helpful in dealing with those specific needs.

2 comments:

Lea White said...

That sounds like a really good workshop! More so because somebody who has actual experience with it shared the information. I have not had any personal experiences with dyslexia, although know a little bit what it is all about.

blackhuff said...

I do not have first hand experience with dyslexia but I can say, that many people overall, don't understand disabilities. The teachers as well. It's a big struggle.